Biman cuts down baggage delivery time to 20 minutes

Dhaka,  Fri,  22 September 2017
Published : 18 May 2017, 22:42:43
printer

Biman cuts down baggage delivery time to 20 minutes

Biman Bangladesh Airlines has reduced the baggage delivery time to 20 minutes from one hour addressing a protracted passenger complaint by introducing at the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport (HSIA) a system called Red Cap, a mechanism used in major international airports across the globe, reports BSS.

"The Redcap system entrusts a particular person with the task of ground handling of an aircraft from its arrival to departure including that of the passenger luggage," Biman's customer service director Atique Sobhan said on Thursday.

He said previously there were lack of coordination between personnel overseeing aircraft traffic management, luggage handlers and transport operators largely causing delay in luggage delivery system.

The official said the system now has become fully operational after six months of experimental operations since November last year.

"Currently we hit the first baggage within 20 minutes after arrival of a flight and deliver the last baggage of that flight in 85 minutes . . . previously it took one hour to three hours," Sobhan said.

Biman last year inked a deal with Civil Aviation and Tourism Ministry saying it would deliver the first baggage within 20 minutes of arrival of a flight.

"We have already archived 92 per cent of the target. Remaining 8 per cent is not achievable due to infrastructural obstacles and obsolete equipment," the national flag carrier's director said.

There are some big pillars at the HISA's apron area that slows down trucks of baggage lorries, he said, adding that as per direction of Civil Aviation Authority there is a 30 kilometre speed limit for luggage lorries and they have to go around either VIP terminal or cargo area that further slows down the total process of luggage delivery.

As per design of the new third terminal, the existing pillars are supposed to be built to make the baggage delivery system faster, Sobhan said.

He said sometimes the baggage delivery takes more time than the target of 20 minutes, if 10 to 12 flights land simultaneously while the HSIA currently has only 8 belts and most of those are 30 to 40 years old.

Biman's general manager for public relation Shakil Meraj said apart from the red cap, Biman has now procured some modern ground handling equipment and 50 more are in the pipeline.

The national flag carrier has already recruited 40 people for handling the new equipment and 30 more new staff will join.

A Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) source said currently a total of 266 flights including international, domestic and cargo are operated at HSIA daily, operated by 27 foreign and 4 local airlines.

A total of 6.7 million passengers used the airport during 2015-16 fiscal year that is predicted to increase upto 8.0 million in the current fiscal year.

At present, the airport is handling cargo of 237,000 tonnes that is 37,000 tonnes more than its capacity.
ADDRESS
Editor : A.H.M Moazzem Hossain
Published by the Editor for International Publications Limited from Tropicana Tower (4th floor), 45, Topkhana Road, GPO Box : 2526 Dhaka- 1000 and printed by him from City Publishing House Ltd., 1 RK Mission Road, Dhaka-1000.
Telephone : PABX : 9553550 (Hunting), 9513814, 7172017 and 7172012 Fax : 880-2-9567049
Email : editor@thefinancialexpress-bd.com, fexpress68@gmail.com
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved
Powered by : orangebdlogo
close