Dr Kamal urges all to raise voice against corruption

Dhaka,  Sun,  25 June 2017
Published : 13 May 2017, 22:30:05
printer

Dr Kamal urges all to raise voice against corruption

Noted jurist Dr Kamal Hossain urged on Saturday all the country's people to break their silence and speak up against corruption and capital flight, reports UNB.

"We should not keep mum... Let's start raising voice and be organised against corruption, looting of assets and capital flight. Otherwise our bright future will be impeded," he said.

Dr Kamal made the remarks while addressing the launching ceremony of the book 'Legal and Illegal Corruption' authored by MS Siddiqui, a legal economist, at the auditorium of the Supreme Court Bar Association in the city.

"We want restoration of meaningful and effective democracy which would be determined by the people," Dr Kamal said, adding that national unity is essential to overcome the present crisis.

"Let us speak out judiciously to make the country's independence meaningful. We're not asking to speak up against the government, rather for the interests of 160 million citizens and the country's future," he added.

The noted jurist said an ill-attempt is now on to make noted persons controversial with a view to dividing the nation.

About the capital flight he said, "I would like to ask 160 million people whether they are worried over the outflow of huge money from the country. We should take legal steps against those who are behind this capital flight. There should be no difference in views here."

Noting that corruption has very high cost in the country, he asked think-tank Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) to conduct a study to estimate costs caused by corruption in the country.

Transparency International Bangladesh (TIB) chairperson Advocate Sultana Kamal said abuse of power is also a form of corruption, citing the example of the recent Banani rape incident. "People with money and power easily did it."

Praising the new book, she said it addressed both abuse of power alongside financial corruption.

Talking about corruption, CPD chairperson Prof Rehman Sobhan said it has become a cancer on society.

He said over 75 per cent of members of parliament (MPs) declared business as their primary occupation in the last three or four national elections. The remaining 25 per cent MPs may be involved in elements of business alongside their primary occupations, he added.

"Mastans (hooligans) are now businessmen. They are not mastans rather they are competing for tender (winning bid)," Prof Sobhan said.

Comptroller and Auditor General Masud Ahmed said many people in the society now think that it is impossible to lead affluent lives without being corrupt.
ADDRESS
Editor : A.H.M Moazzem Hossain
Published by the Editor for International Publications Limited from Tropicana Tower (4th floor), 45, Topkhana Road, GPO Box : 2526 Dhaka- 1000 and printed by him from City Publishing House Ltd., 1 RK Mission Road, Dhaka-1000.
Telephone : PABX : 9553550 (Hunting), 9513814, 7172017 and 7172012 Fax : 880-2-9567049
Email : editor@thefinancialexpress-bd.com, fexpress68@gmail.com
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved
Powered by : orangebdlogo
close