SYLHET, Apr 12: Standing Boro paddy crops on 181,369 hectares of land were inundated in Sylhet division during the last few weeks' excessive rains and rolling water from the upper region in Meghalaya and Assam states of India.
It is mentioned on final report of crop damage, prepared by the DAE divisional office, an official informed on Tuesday, adding, however, the extent of crop loss is yet to be calculated.
'It would be done after days on the basis of another report from the field soon', said Deputy director of the DAE Dr Mamun Ur Rashid. There is no scope to save even part of the inundated lands' crop, he said and added, the common farmers are extremely hit this year.
The total include, 58,710 hectares in Sylhet, 14,362 hectares in Moulvibazar, 10,437 hectares in Habiganj and the highest 97,862 hectares in Sunamganj, the official said.
Too see for himself, the DAE's Director-General Manzurul Hannan visited inundated croplands in Jogonnathpur, Biswambharpur, Sadar and Dakshin Sunamganj upazilas in Sunamganj district and Golapganj, Fenchuganj, Dakshin Surma and Sadar upazilas in Sylhet last week.
Meanwhile, the state minister for Finance & Planning MA Mannan has assured soon a high power committee would be formed to probe into the allegations of irregularities in construction of protective works on the embankments.
Besdies, the farmers, political leaders and social activists in Sunamganj and in Sylhet through protest rallies and human chain etc demanded action against the WDB, who had failed to complete protective works on the embankments even after getting time extensions. Earlier the government had sanctioned over Tk 600 million for the different schemes for protecting the Boro paddy in Sunamganj and Sylhet districts this year.