|Published : 17 Mar 2017, 19:58:29 | Updated : 17 Mar 2017, 19:59:28|
‘Suicide blast’ at Ashkona: IS claims responsibility
FE Online Desk
The Islamic State group reportedly claimed the responsibility of the suicide bomb explosion that took place at Ashkona area in Dhaka on Friday noon.
A BBC Bangla report, published at 7.29pm on Friday, says this quoting the group’s Amaq news agency.
Earlier on Friday, according to UNB, a ‘suicide bomber’ died in a blast at a camp of the Rapid Action Battalion during Jumma prayers at Ashkona area in Dhaka. The camp is a proposed site for the headquarters of RAB.
Mufti Mahmud Khan, director of legal and media wing of RAB headquarters, said an unidentified young man entered the under-construction site climbing the wall of adjacent Hajj camp around 1:05pm.
When two RAB members saw the unidentified young man, they challenged him. The RAB members started to interrogate him.
At one stage, the young man started running away and then one bomb, attached with his body, went off with a big bang, leaving him dead on the spot and two RAB men injured.
The injured RAB officials were admitted to hospital.
Meanwhile, bdnews24.com reports, airport Police Station OC Noor-e-Azam said, “This might have been a suicide attack.”
“There is a place for doing Waju (ablutions) next to the RAB camp. The explosion took place in there. We have started our investigation,” he added.
He could not immediately provide details of the incident and names of those killed and injured.