|Published : 27 Nov 2016, 16:50:06|
No plan to stop OTT: Tarana
The government has no plan to restrict voice call through free apps like viber, imo and whatsapp, confirmed State Minister for Posts and Telecommunications Tarana Halim on Sunday.
However, steps will be taken to stop use of illegal use of VoIP, she added.
“We are committed to stop illegal use of VoIP, but has no plan to bar free calling through communication apps,” said Tarana to state owned agency BSS.
Referring to her ministry’s effort to stop illegal call termination through VoIP, she said the efforts would continue with the ‘zero tolerance’ approach.
The state minister came up with the announcement to clear the government’s stand on use of OTT (Over-the-Top) or communication apps.
Earlier on Friday, BTRC Chairman Dr. Shahjahan Mahmood said they would formulate a guideline on use of OTT as people are using the free calling apps more than legal international call termination.
Some media even reported that communication apps such as viber, imo, whatsapps and wechat would be banned. - IH