|Published : 23 Nov 2016, 10:29:32 | Updated : 23 Nov 2016, 10:32:47|
Burnt worker dies after Ashulia lighter factory fire
A worker has died in a hospital after sustaining severe burns during a fire at a cigarette lighter factory in Dhaka’s Ashulia.
‘Akhi’ had suffered 30 per cent burns on her body after the factory of Colour Max (BD) caught fire on Tuesday afternoon.
The 20-year-old worker died around 1:30am as her windpipe was badly damaged, said Dr Partha Shankar Pal of Dhaka Medical College Hospital’s Burn Unit.
Twenty more workers were admitted at the Burn Unit among the 26 injured in the fire.
“The patients are all women. Their bodies have sustained burns between 20 to 70 per cent. None of them are out of danger,” said Dr Pal.
'Akhi', from Mithapukur in Rangpur, used to work in the gas lighter factory along with 100 other workers; according to a news agency.