|Published : 19 Sep 2016, 18:57:14 | Updated : 19 Sep 2016, 20:03:46|
‘Gulshan, Sholakia militants got fund from Middle East’
Names another suspected militant
FE Online Desk
Funding for the Gulshan and Sholakia attacks came from the Middle East, claimed a senior police official on Monday.
Monirul Islam, an additional commissioner of police and chief of Counter-Terrorism and Transnational Crime unit revealed the information to newsmen at the media centre of Dhaka Metropolitan Police.
He said at least Tk 1.3 million was smuggled into Bangladesh from the Middle East via hundi transfer (an illegal system).
Monirul also said police are yet to ascertain the source of weapons used in the attack but they are sure that the arms entered Bangladesh through India, reports agencies.
Regarding the identity of the person who received the money at this end police said, “We have his identity. We are trying to catch him. Most of the money was spent in house rent and weapons.”
The sources of money and arms came under spotlight after the attack in Gulshan was carried out on July 1 of this year in which 28 people including the attackers were killed while another terror attack was carried out at Eid congregation in Sholakia Eidgah on July 7 in which four people were killed.
Monirul also gave out the name of another suspected militant Rajib Gandhi alias Shuvash Gandhi alias Shanto, who is a leader of Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB).
Police are looking for him and two other militants Marjan and Basaruzzaman. Two more leadership level JMB militants supposedly fled to India, he added.
Police, so far in their attempt to nab the militants, successfully arrested some, while many militants were killed in duels between police and the militants. - IH